Olympic Mistake

Yesterday I was watching the men’s figure skating final. There was one more time to count and then the medals could be tallied up. He was an underdog from the Netherlands. He started off and was going really fast. After he finished he looked up at the board and saw that he had won gold!

He took a victory lap and looked happy as ever, but halfway through his celebration his time was changed! The judges looked at the photo finish and decided that he had finished .1 second later than thought. The look on his face was devastating. He thought he won gold but then realized he didn’t. Even though he got silver he was still devasted.

I think the Olympics should be more careful with their timing so that other athletes don’t have to go through that pain.

Fun Fact: the bronze, silver, and gold medals were all won by the Netherlands in that event! My dad says that all the Dutch do is skate!

2 thoughts on “Olympic Mistake”

1. You’re right, I can’t count how many times I’ve seen athletes lose because of their arrogance. And the Dutch really just skate, you’ll never see a Dutch man not skate.

2. That’s horrible. I couldn’t imagine. All though it’s good Netherlands got all 3 it’s sad to think you got gold then get silver, especially as am underdog.